Friday, May 16, 2008

INTERNSHIP 'GREENS'

Being regular with writing blogs is harder than I'd have imagined. But blogging has become a craze off late. Exploring the personal side of anyone could not have gotten any easier when you can simply read his/her blog. Amitabh has one, Aamir has one, and I have one too. Just that, they maintain it far more regularly than I do.

In light of this, I have decided to make another random insertion into the blog. This is a letter that I wrote to Dad, who is abroad now, briefing him on my first week experiences here at my internship. For the uninitiated, I’m presently at Bangalore, doing an internship for about 2 months, at Mahindra Plexion Technologies or now known as Mahindra Engineering & Design.

_______________________________________________

Hey Baba

I'm writing this letter from the office at the moment. The office is quite posh and comfortable. It's centrally air-conditioned and I have a whole big table to myself. Don't have a computer as yet, but will do so soon. Timings are officially 9.30 - 6.30, but things are a lot more flexible. I can come in later and leave earlier. Infact, Karthik Sir on my first day told me to leave at around 5 itself.

The first few days is just about looking around the office, meeting new people and interacting with all the senior people around. It's been a good learning experience so far and I'm learning newer things about what Mahindra is involved in. Based on what all is happening and where my interest lies, I can define a project for myself. As of now, with all my discussions, I'm planning to enhance on the subjects I have already done on a practical level. Venturing out into new subjects will be daunting, and something I won't realistically finish within my stay here. Plus I also feel I want to do something result oriented (as in I will have some conclusion and inference on the basis of experimentation and analysis that I do here) as opposed to randomly put my feet into many boats and see what it's like. Probably I'm looking to do something in computer and software programming, maybe devise an algorithm for different flight conditions. The company can use my algorithm as a black box for their future projects and analysis, and I can show the code output in the form of a software as my final result. I will need to know advanced C++ programming for that, something that I always wanted to learn or atleast improve on.

Seems that just after second year, doing an intern is quite hard as lots of important things related to flight is covered in the third year. Hopefully, I will learn on new things by and by and see where it goes from there. There are a lot of things they do here, and it's quite natural to be confused about what one wants to do. It's not because everything is tempting, it's just that I don't really know the depths of anything, and I'm feeling very apprehensive about taking up something and regretting it later. I have expressed these concerns to Karthik Sir already, and he feels its just a feeling of insecurity, and will go as time goes by or if I eventually do venture into something.


My colleagues here have been very welcoming and very friendly as well. All in all, I'm having quite a good time here so far.

The room is also very comfortable. It's a guest house (service apartment). So, I have room service there. My room / bed / toilets get cleaned every morning when I leave for work. The room is also fully furnished with big cupboards, a dressing table, attached bath with geyser, a TV, side tables etc. It's a set of 4 bedrooms, all connected by a hall and a kitchen. I have one bedroom to myself at the moment. 2 of them are free and the last is being occupied by some IT-recruit at Wipro. The kitchen has a fridge and utensils which I'm free to use. Only the gas is out of bounds as they prepare food there, which by the way I can also eat with some payment. The hall has huge sofas and a centre table for relaxing with the daily newspaper for reading. There is also a computer monitor kept there, indicating there was internet there a while ago, but the housekeepers tell me the connection has been withdrawn now. The place is also very safe, with no theft threats. It's just 5 minutes walk from the office, and in a completely residential area. In fact, the guest house is a convert from a bungalow. The houses around are all bungalow types, with very few apartment complexes around.

Eating is quite expensive here. Dinner costs me around 60-70 rupees, although I haven't really tried the budget eateries just as yet. I have also got a new mobile connection. My new number is - 9945653492. I haven't really ventured out to the city just as yet, but plan to do so over the weekend(s).

The other third year interns will come around 19th May. They are presently in IIT Kanpur doing their Flight Lab. I will also have to go there sometime next year or later. I have passed in all my courses, so I will complete my entire stay here at one shot.

I will keep updating you on more soon. As of now, keep sending your mails to this ID ONLY!! Internet here is severely blocked, and very few sites are accessible. You take care. Lots of love. Rara.....

P.S. – Karthik Sir is Karthik Krishnamurthy… my Project head.

No comments: